Saturday, August 1, 2009

Big Bang Theory

Pune City has funny named places in it. I went to one such place - Pimpale Saudagar. The friends that I visited called the place - The Resort. A Resort it is indeed, for obvious reasons. Bhai had once given me the description of the top floor flat with its terrace opening up to Pune heights. The description did fit in beautifully...albeit a bit smaller in size. But the personalities I met therein were astronomical. They are the caretakers of the Resort now until it withers away into our glorious past.
Chomko and his friend - Derry - decided to drive down to Pune and were kind enuf to let me hitch a ride. At first I met up with BluesMan Tom aka Prem Chopra. We offered our prayers to the Gods and went on a musical trip. BluesMan being a man from the hills has maintained the quorum of his flat to be people from his region. The Yamaha guitar and the desktop with good speakers and a broadband internet connection. It was a good four hour trip with the bluesman. I left for the Resort in the evening.
Due to unforeseen circumstances, we got delayed and the people at the Resort felt all the stages of anxiety...ending in hopelessness. But finally we reached our destination. Chomko is a good driver. KhambaMan was already halfway thru his daily quota at Govind Garden Bar. Chuzukee and Politburo were at the Resort - chilling. We didnt quite settle down there...made our way to Govind Garden. A momentous bonding session ensued. KhambaMan at the head of the Table, me and Chuzukee on the two sides. Politburo beside me. Chomko and Derry taking their place beside Chuzukee. We took our turns to congratulate each other for making it to the table. It was perhaps my first session ever with Politburo. Even the others took notice of this. I named it - Gatbandhan.
We have all matured into pretty seasoned alcoholics...me being the worst of the lot. Chuzukee was giving me company for his own reasons. Chomko being the wine Baron, took responsibility of getting everyone pissed drunk. KhambaMan volunteered even before the event had started. Politburo kept his composure...maybe expecting a new move from the opposition. We spoke about how far we are from College. It was around 4 years...
Everyone of us is like a particle travelling outwards in space...ejected at the moment of culmination of the REC Durgapur life. We took different directions, but were part of the same wavefront. Every event in our lives altering our direction. But we were all still moving outward, faraway from each other every moment. Every such Govind Garden moment is like an explosion. A contraction followed by an expansion...where a few of us manage to converge to a point...spend a moment together..only to comeback to our original positions in the next instant or maybe diverge again. The College life then, KhambaMan and I agreed the next day, was the Big Bang that caused this entire creation. If it hadnt been for the Alma Mater, this would never have happened. And this is just one way of looking at it.
By now I have managed to meet many of the people from my College life. The trip to college - Shani is not doing well. He is not interested to work anymore and seeks solace in a bottle of Bangla 60. There are too many bitter memories of people who are no longer with us. Particles which just vanished/burnt away. KhambaMan also mentioned about the Lost. Chuzukee later told me that Politburo has had his share of outbursts.
KhambaMan has become a premium customer at Govind Garden. His appetite for alcohol has increased several fold. I could see my alcoholic Uncle in him...drinking his daily dose..eating food and sleeping like a baby...waking up next afternoon to some whisky and soda. Food at 3pm and sleep again. In between all this, talking about his likes and dislikes..eventually losing control and sense.
KhambaMan posed the question - What is Life? - and all its variants. Being the smartass that I am, I tried answering it to the best of my capabilities, that is, quoting a lot of facts from wherever...and eventually saying - I dont know. It is then that KhambaMan also said -
A lot of things still remain unexplained. And every now and then all u can do is just look up and heave a sigh,"Kya baat Hai!!"
I was in total agreement.

6 comments:

Saurabh said...

Ha ha....Fantabulous....lovely description of resort...and big bang analogy is truly imaginative and remarkable..... Great Going....hope to see more from u...

The Paradox said...

First i am speechless and in total awe of the big bang theory, second i'm kicking myself for missing out on hearing this theory LIVE!

Having read this, it is now my responsibility to spread this amazing theory !

Harish said...

Nice article sir.. The Big Bang theory stands out as an indelible original act of creation. My comments on that later.

To start off with, I feel the article was highly condensed and ended abruptly. This was the trip of your life where you met these amazing human beings. You could have started off with how your journey was a lesson in life itself when you were in the car with Chomko and his speaker Derry.
Not to mention the musical genius in Parashar..

As for members of the Resort, their whole entourage stands out like the great aurorea borealis in our vast sky.

I would have really liked it if you would have ended it the way you have worked on your previous articles. Anyway nice to see you writing back again.

Abhik said...

Frankly, 'Kya Baat Hai!'. Brilliant.
Without doubt what stands out is the tone of narration with touches of nonchalance and melancholy. The melancholy is brought about by a gradual descent into philosophy. Or enhanced by it. Or probably it's the other way round.
The Big Bang analogy is interesting. Are you moving apart as individuals or is it just that you've gone places (literally and figuratively)? My understanding is that Govind Garden can act as a contraction in the second case.

Keep writing.

Mr.Stranger said...

Thank you for all those words of encouragement..I hope to continue writing for sometime.

jammydravid said...

yeh paradox kaun hai???